Peanut Butter Affairs
Thin and crisp, peanut butter sandwich cookies filled with creamy peanut butter.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon milk
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar; using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and 1/2 cup peanut butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the corn syrup and milk until just blended.
- Shape dough into a 9-inch roll; wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper, and chill a minimum of 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Unwrap roll and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Place half of the slices 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Spread each slice with 1 teaspoon peanut butter. Cover with remaining slices, and press edges together with a fork to seal.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen sandwich cookies.