Pecan Pie Cookies
Irresistible cookies with pecan pie-filled centers.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
2 large eggs, separated
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Beat 1 cup butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 1/2 cup corn syrup and egg yolks, beating well. Gradually stir in flour; cover and chill 1 hour.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; stir in powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons corn syrup. Cook, stirring often, until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans; chill 30 minutes. Shape mixture by 1/2 teaspoonfuls into 1/4-inch balls; set aside.
- Shape cookie dough into 1-inch balls; place 2-inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Beat egg whites until foamy; brush on dough balls.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and place pecan balls in center of each cookie.
- Bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool 5 minutes on baking pans; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Freeze up to 1 month, if desired.
Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies.