A dash of black pepper adds bite to these sweet cake-like confections. Sprinkle them with cinnamon before they go into the oven.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Bring just to a boil and immediately remove from heat; cool to room temperature before stirring in egg.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, ginger, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, cloves and pepper. Stir into syrup mixture, mixing well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Divide dough into quarters and keep unused portions chilled until ready to roll.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon. Bake 4 to 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.