Pistachio Florentine Cookies
Sweet, crispy pistachio Florentines laced with candied orange peel and cherries, and dressed in a coat of semisweet chocolate.
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup candied orange peel, finely chopped
1/3 cup candied red cherries, finely chopped
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup to 1/2 semisweet chocolate chips
- In medium-size saucepan, melt butter. Add cream; bring to boil. Remove from heat; stir in pistachios, orange peel, cherries and flour. Spread mixture to approximately 17x11-inch rectangle on well-greased baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) .
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture is slightly set. Remove from oven.
- Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut partially baked pistachio mixture into 24 to 30 pieces. Remove pieces from around hearts.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 3 to 5 minutes longer until firm enough to lift off baking sheet. Florentines should not be crispy at this point. Cool on baking rack until firm and crisp.
- Melt chocolate chips in the microwave as directed on the package. Spread thin layer of chocolate on backsides of each Florentine to cover half or entire surface.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped pistachios or run a fork across chocolate to make lines.
Makes 24 to 36 Florentines.
Tip: Bake Florentine pieces from around cookie cut-outs as directed for the second baking above. Cool. Crumble and serve over ice cream.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Pistachio Commission.