Praline Thumbprint Cookies
A sugary-sweet praline filling makes for a tasty twist on a classic cookie.
1 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup pecans, finely chopped (almost ground)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter with electric mixer at medium speed; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, mixing well. Stir in flour until just mixed; stir in pecans. Dough will be stiff.
- Shape into 1-inch balls and place 2-inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press your thumb into center of each ball to make an indention.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon Praline Filling into each cookie.
- For Praline Filling: Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in milk. Return to heat and bring mixture back to a boil and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until mixture is smooth.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): 99.0 calories; 53% calories from fat; 6.1g total fat; 12.8mg cholesterol; 40.5mg sodium; 32.8mg potassium; 10.7g carbohydrates; 0.3g fiber; 7.1g sugar; 10.4g net carbs; 0.8g protein.