Premier White Lemon Cookies
Bring these elegant lemon shortbread cookies, partially dipped in melted white chocolate, to a party as a hostess gift—they look beautiful and taste even better! Substitute the zest and chocolate to create additional tasty variations.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (12 ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Premier White Morsels - divided use
1 teaspoon vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Combine flour and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, sugar, lemon peel and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in 1 cup morsels.
- Divide dough into 4 even pieces. Gently shape each piece into an 8 x 1-inch diameter log. Wrap logs tightly in wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Unwrap logs; cut each log with serrated knife into 16 slices, about 1/2-inch thick. If necessary, reshape edges of cookies. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 13 to 14 minutes or until edges are set. Cool for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Line baking sheet with wax paper.
- Microwave remaining 1 cup morsels and vegetable shortening in small, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
- Dip top half of cookies into melted morsels. Scrape off excess against side of bowl. Place on baking sheets. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.
- For chocolate chip orange cookies, substitute 2 to 3 tablespoons of orange zest for the lemon zest and NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels for the Premier White Morsels.
- Dough logs may be frozen up to 1 month in advance. Place wrapped logs in plastic freezer storage bags.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.