Ranch Oatmeal Cookies
Ranch hands (kids) coming in from the range (playground) will be hankering for a snack—so offer the little cowpokes these cookies and milk, Ma!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Turbinado or granulated sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter, sugar and brown sugar, using an electric mixer at medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in oats, coconut and walnuts until just blended. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a lightly greased or nonstick baking sheet. Moisten the bottom of glass, dip in the turbinado sugar press onto each cookie to slightly flatten.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies.