Robin's Mandelbread Cookies
A twice-baked bread similar to biscotti.
3 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 ounces sliced almonds
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl beat eggs and 1 cup sugar.
- Sift together flour and baking powder, add alternately with oil to egg mixture. The batter will be very thick. Add vanilla and lemon juice. Stir in almonds and chocolate chips.
- Form dough into two or three flattened loaves, about 1 1/2-inch thick. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with a mixture of 1 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Slice into strips while still hot. Turn over, sprinkle again with any remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture and bake for another 5 minutes.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.