A Viennese-style cookie topped with apricot jam and a decorative drizzle of chocolate.
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 cup butter and sugar on medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg. Reduce to low speed, beat in unsweetened baking cocoa and flour until just blended. Floured hands, shape teaspoon of dough into 3/4-inch balls.
- Place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Make an indentation in the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until firm. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Spoon a dab of apricot jam in each indentation.
- In a small saucepan, stir together semi-sweet chocolate chips and remaining butter; when melted and smooth, drizzle over the cookies. Cool until the frosting is set.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.