Santa Face Cookies
This recipe includes clever suggestions for making whimiscal santa faces, such as pressing small pieces of the cookie dough through a garlic press to make a curly beard.
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup currants, chopped
2 tablespoons cinnamon candies
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in milk and vanilla. Add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Divide dough into thirds and roll out one portion at a time on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut dough with a large, floured, Santa-shaped cookie cutter and place 1-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate Santas using currants for eyes, cinnamon candy for the nose and red food coloring painted on for the hat and mouth. Make a paste of baking cocoa and water for the eyebrows. Press small pieces of the dough through a garlic press to make a curly beard; press on to chin.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on the cookie sheets for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.