Rich, creamy butter makes these cookies melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Bake extra to give as gifts around the holidays.
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg white, beaten
1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until soft; add half the flour and sugar. When thoroughly combined stir in remaining flour.
- Shape into four rolls about 5 inches long, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut dough into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press the center of each cookie with your thumb, brush with slightly beaten egg white.
- Combine almonds and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle cookie with sugar mixture.
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are just browned. Cool on wire racks.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.