Crisp-tender, buttery rich shortbread, cut into 1/2-inch thick rectangle strips before baking.
2 cups (16 ounces) butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, packed
4 to 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
Granulated or colored sugar for garnish (optional)
- Cream butter in mixing bowl with electric mixer until blended; add brown sugar and beat about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add 3 3/4 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition to incorporate.
- Remove dough to board that has been sprinkled with some of remaining flour. Knead dough for 5 minutes by hand, adding enough flour to make a soft, non-sticky dough.
- Roll dough on floured board into rectangle 1/2-inch thick; cut into 1-inch wide strips. Cut each strip into 2 inch long pieces. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Place strips 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick each cookie several times with times of floured fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store tightly covered in a cool place.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.