Festive drop cookies laced with coconut, pecans and maraschino cherries with a dusting of powdered sugar as the finishing touch.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; blend well. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Fold in coconut, pecans and cherries.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to wire racks and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Once cool, sprinkle again with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.