Soynut Butter Cookies
For a healthy alternative to peanut butter, try soynut butter with almost half the fat and calories.
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup soynut butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons soy milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup soy flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup roasted soynuts, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine brown sugar, soynut butter, shortening, soy milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add egg to sugar mixture; beat just until blended.
- Combine flour, soy flour, baking soda and salt. Add to sugar mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly by pressing 4 soynuts into each cookie center in a pinwheel design.
- Bake cookies for 7 to 9 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Do not over brown. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.