Visions of sugar plums danced in their heads—the sweet treats that fill the dreams of children at Christmastime. Here's the recipe for the old-time holiday treat, Sugar Plums.
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/4 cup quick rolled oats
30 maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in walnuts and rolled oats. Dough may be a little stiff.
- Shape into balls around cherries.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheets at 325°F (160°C) for 15 minutes; cool slightly on wire rack.
- Roll in powdered sugar while still warm.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.