Super Smarties Cookies
Tart candies take the place of typical chocolate chips in these delicious cookies. A bit of oatmeal adds a chewy contrast to these sweet treats.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 cups rolled (old-fashioned) oats
1 1/2 cup Smarties candies - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together shortening, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat flour mixture into shortening mixture. Stir in oats and 1 cup of the candies. Drop dough in tablespoonfuls onto baking sheets, about 1½ inches apart. Top each cookie with 2 or 3 of the remaining candies for garnish.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to rack to cool completely.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.