These dainty cookies with, their jewel-like jelly centers, make delightful cookies for the holidays and special occasions.
A Family-Favorites Recipe.
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs, separated
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2 cups finely chopped walnuts for rolling*
1/2 cup red raspberry seedless jelly or jam (or your favorite flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cream brown sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg yolks, until light and fluffy. Stir in flour and salt, mixing well. Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Beat egg whites slightly with fork.
- Dip each ball into egg white and roll in chopped nuts or coconut. Place about 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb in center of each.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, remove from oven and fill indentions with about 1/4 teaspoon of jelly or jam. Return filled cookies to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store loosely covered in cool area.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
*Can also use sweetened flaked coconut for rolling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): 106.7 calories; 60% calories from fat; 7.5g total fat; 13.9mg cholesterol; 38.6mg sodium; 41.1mg potassium; 9.0g carbohydrates; 0.5g fiber; 2.4g sugar; 8.5g net carbs; 1.6g protein.