Ultra Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free)
At last, it’s here! A great recipe for a gluten-free version of the classic and delicious peanut butter cookie. Recipe by Chef Zoë François.
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks; 3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (7 ounces) peanut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces gluten-free semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) with rack in the center of the oven.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment about two minutes on medium speed. Scrape the sides of the bowl often. Add the peanut butter and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well incorporated. Add the vanilla.
- In a bowl, whisk together the peanut flour, which may be lumpy, baking soda and salt. Add to the peanut butter mixture and mix until it is a smooth dough. Add the chocolate here, if using.
- Use a two to three tablespoon scoop to form the balls of dough. Or use a spoon and then roll them into balls. Use a fork to flatten them and create a crosshatch pattern. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. They will puff up slightly and the tops will be golden, but they should still be slightly soft in the middle. Of course, if you like your peanut butter cookies crunchy throughout, then bake another couple of minutes.
Makes 24 cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/24 of recipe; 1 cookie without optional chopped chocolate): Calories: 130; Calories from Fat: 80; Fat: 9g; Trans Fats: 0g; Cholesterol: 25 mg; Carbohydrate: 11g; Protein: 4g; Fiber: 1g; Sodium: 180 mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Peanut Board.