Have fun personalizing these cut-out, stained-glass cookies. Perfect for Valentines Day or any special occasion.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 drops oil of cinnamon (optional)
1/4 cup hard cinnamon candies, finely crushed
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a medium bowl beat sugar and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and oil of cinnamon, if desired; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator about 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut a 10x8-inch heart pattern from paper. Halve dough. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. Place half of the dough on each cookie sheet; roll into 10x8-inch rectangles. With pattern, cut dough into heart shapes. Reserve scraps. (If dough seems too soft, freeze 30 minutes or until firm.) Use alphabet- and heart-shaped cutters to cut out a message from each cookie. Remove dough from cutters.
- Spoon candy into cutouts to fill holes to level of the dough.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until candy is melted and cookies are done. Cool on cookie sheets. Peel foil from cookies. Reroll dough scraps; cut with 3-inch cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Cool on pan.
Makes 2 large and 6 small cookies.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.