Vanilla Lemon Cookies
Zesty, cinnamon-scented cut-out cookies topped with a lemon frosting.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1/4 cup warm water
4 teaspoons dried egg whites
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Cream butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl on medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and lemon peel. Gradually add flour mixture on low speed until well combined. Divide dough in half and flatten into disks; wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out one disk at a time between two pieces of parchment paper to 1/8-inch thick. With floured 2 to 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place them on prepared baking sheets. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned around the edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat water and egg whites on low speed until the water is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and gradually beat in powdered sugar until stiff, but not dry. Add food coloring, if desired and beat 1 more minute. Decorate cooled cookies with icing.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.