Walnut Refrigerator Cookies
These rich, sweet cookies are a cinch to make—let the kids help out for holiday gift-giving.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Add butter, egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until blended.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Roll dough into three 5-inch long rolls; wrap each in wax paper. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm enough to slice.
- When dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking sheet.
- Slice dough, one roll at a time, crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.