Walnut Thumbprint Cookies
Buttery thumbprints rolled in finely chopped walnuts and filled with your favorite sweet and colorful fruit jelly or jam.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg, separated, yolk and white slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Jelly or jam, preferably assorted flavors
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
- In a bowl cream butter with an electric mixer, then gradually add brown sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla to blend. Add flour and salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Form dough into small balls. Dip the balls into egg white, then roll in walnuts. Place cookies on cookie sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Lightly press your thumb in the center of each cookie to form a dent. Bake for 5 minutes, then dent again. Continue baking for 15 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.
- While cookies are still warm, fill each thumbprint with 1/4 teaspoon of jelly or jam. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.