Whole-Wheat Caramel Lattes
A chocolate-covered coffee bean is nestled atop each caramel-filled thumbprint, making these cookies the perfect accompaniment with a hot cup of fresh brewed coffee.
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup café mocha instant coffee crystals
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon heavy cream
42 chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and instant coffee crystals together, until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until blended. Combine flours in a separate bowl and add to butter mixture; mix well.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, and place 2 inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Press thumb into cookie center. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cookies begin to brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, heat caramels and cream; stirring frequently. Using a teaspoon, drop melted caramel into each thumbprint, placing a chocolate-covered coffee bean on caramel immediately.
- Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to three days.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.