Classic whoopie pies, asoft chocolate sandwich cookies with a fluffy marshmallow creme filling.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup marshmallow creme
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa; add milk and oil and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla and blend well.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat butter, marshmallow creme and vanilla together in a small bowl; gradually add powdered sugar and blend well.
- Spread flat side of half the cookies with the filling. Top with remaining cookies, placing cookies flat-side down.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies.