Wonderful Sour Cream Cookies
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.
11 tablespoons (1 stick plus 3 tablespoons) unsalted butter or soy margarine, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 large eggs
1/4 cup soft tofu
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 drops almond extract
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
1/3 cup soy sour cream
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup soy flour
1 1/3 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla soy milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Candy sprinkles, if desired
- For Cookies: In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar at medium speed until light, about 3 minutes. Add egg, tofu and extracts and beat until blended.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour creams and baking soda (the mixture will foam a little).
- Add the flours to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Do not over mix.
- Drop by level tablespoonful onto lightly greased baking sheets, spacing them about an inch apart.
- Bake until lightly browned around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- For Vanilla Icing: In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, soy milk, and vanilla extract and almond extracts until smooth.
- Spread icing on cooled cookies. Sprinkle with candy sprinkles, if desired.
Makes 12 cookies.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Soyfoods Council.