Almond Rice Pudding with Apricot Sauce
Baked rice pudding with a kiss of Amaretto and laced with toasted slivered almonds, served with warm brandied apricot preserves, a dollop of whipped cream and sliced almonds. A gluten-free dessert.
1/2 cup uncooked rice
2 1/2 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds, toasted
3 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup apricot preserves or glaze
1 tablespoon brandy
- Combine rice, milk and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently 40 to 50 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Spoon rice into mixing bowl; cool.
- Beat yolks with cream until well blended. Stir into rice mixture. Add almonds, Amaretto and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold into rice mixture. Pour into buttered 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish; set in pan filled with 1-inch hot water. Bake at 350°F (175°F) 30 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove dish from water; allow to stand 15 minutes. Spoon pudding into serving dishes.
- Combine preserves and brandy in small saucepan; heat through. Pour over rice pudding. Garnish with fresh strawberries, whipped cream, and sliced almonds, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.