Tender wedges of apple are wrapped in flaky strips of pastry. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
4 to 5 tablespoons ice-cold water
4 large Granny Smith apples
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 cups water
Vanilla ice cream for accompaniment
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the ice-cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over surface; stir with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Shape into a ball; chill.
- Peel and core apples; cut each apple into 8 wedges. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- Roll pastry into a 10 x 16-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Cut into 32 (10 x 1/2-inch) strips.
- Wrap 1 strip diagonally around each apple wedge. Arrange in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over wedges. Pour the water around wedges.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 35 to 40 minutes or until apples are tender and pastry is lightly browned. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.