Apple or Pear Crisp
One of the beloved comfort desserts. Apples or pears are lightly spiced, then baked tender beneath a layer of buttery crumbs.
4 medium-size apples or pears or a combination (about 2 1/4 pounds) peeled, cored and sliced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
Lightly sweetened whipping cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place prepared apples or pears in a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, and water; mix lightly.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix sugar and flour. Using a pastry blender to cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; evenly sprinkle crumbs over fruit mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until fruit is tender when pierced and crust is lightly browned.
- Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.