"This is not an original recipe of mine, but it was sent to me through e-mail and I tried it and it is fabulous and yummy so say about a dozen people who have tried it. My sis even called me long distance from Ohio to tell me how WOWED her family was with it." Recipe submitted by Pat.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
1 cup nuts*
3 cups chopped apples**
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 (3.5-ounce) can of sweetened flaked coconut
- For Apple Filling: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Cream eggs, oil and sugar until well blended; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Combine the egg mixture with the dry ingredients. Stir in vanilla, nuts and apples.
- Place in prepared pan and bake 45 to 50 minutes.
- For Topping: Combine topping ingredients in a small saucepan and cook for about 3 minutes and pour over HOT cake. Very good warm topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy.
Makes 12 servings.
*I used 3 different types of nuts - pecans, Brazil nuts and almonds.
**I used one Granny Smith, one Macintosh and one Rome) It takes about 3 good sized apples.