Apple Cheddar Crisp
Some say a slice of warm apple pie without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze—this old saying goes for warm apple crisp, too! Which is why this comforting dessert is served warm with a garnish of shredded cheese and gilded with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
4 cups apples (crisp and tart such as Braeburn), peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 plus 1/2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed - divided use
1/2 cup rolled (old-fashioned) oats
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine apples, lemon juice and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Arrange in buttered 8 or 9-inch square pan.
- Combine dry ingredients and cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; gently mix in cheese. Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, garnished with shredded cheese.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.