Apple Meringue Rice Custard
Baked lemon-scented rice custard with a ribbon of chopped apples, raisins and walnuts running through its center and topped with fluffy, golden meringue. Whomever thinks comfort doesn't mingle with elegance never partook of this splendid dessert. A gluten-free dessert.
3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk - divided use
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
3/4 teaspoon salt - divided use
3 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract - divided use
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 tart apple, cored and finely chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine rice, 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks with remaining 1/2 cup milk. Add to rice mixture and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and lemon peel.
- Turn half into buttered shallow 2 quart casserole. Combine apple, raisins and walnuts. Sprinkle over rice. Top with remaining custard.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until stiff but not dry. Spread over hot filling, sealing meringue to edges of dish. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until peaks are golden brown. Serve warm.
Makes 9 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.