Apple Raisin Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is one of the classic comfort foods.
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped cored cooking apples (about 2 medium)
3 cups day-old bread cubes (about 3 slices)
1/2 cup raisins
4 large eggs
2 cups skim or low-fat milk
1/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Whipped cream, whipped topping or ice cream for accompaniment (optional)
- In a small saucepan heat butter and stir in the chopped apples.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole lightly toss together apples with day old bread and raisins.
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, milk, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over apple mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven until knife inserted near center comes out clean-about 45 to 55 minutes.
- For optimal browning, cook with the cover off for the last 15 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.