Apple Strudel Cups
This terrific dessert looks as wonderful as it tastes.
Apple Strudel Cups:
2 (12-ounce) packages frozen escalloped apples
1 tablespoon almond liqueur (optional)
2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
15 sheets frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
Vanilla ice cream for accompaniment
Powdered sugar for dusting
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For Apple Strudel Cups: Place 2 packages of escalloped apples in microwave. Microwave at HIGH power 9 to 12 minutes; allow to stand 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in almond liqueur, if desired.
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl. Combine almonds, 1/4 cup sugar, and apple spice in food processor; process until almonds are finely ground.
- Stack phyllo sheets on a flat surface. Cut each into 4 (6-inch) squares. Discard trimmings. Place 1 phyllo square on flat surface. Keep remaining squares covered with plastic wrap until ready to use. Brush phyllo square with melted butter; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon almond mixture. Repeat procedure 3 times, stacking and rotating each square slightly. Brush 1 phyllo square with butter. Place square, buttered side down, on top of stack, rotating square slightly. (You will now have a stack of 5 squares.) Place stack in a greased muffin pan forming a cup. Repeat procedure using remaining phyllo squares, melted butter and nut mixture.
- Bake phyllo cups at 375°F (175°C) for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven, and let cool in pan 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan, and place on serving plates. Fill each phyllo cup with apples just before serving. Drizzle with Caramel Sauce, and serve with a scoop of ice cream. Dust with powdered sugar.
- For Caramel Sauce: Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar, whipping cream, and salt; cook, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla. Cool completely, stirring occasionally.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe is the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.