Bacon Ice Cream
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.
1/4 pound bacon, raw, roughly chopped
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups milk
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed, lightly packed
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine bacon, half-and-half, milk, corn syrup, and sugar and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, cover, and set aside to steep until a deep bacon flavor develops, 10 to 20 minutes. Strain through a medium-mesh strainer and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Process according to your ice cream manufacturer's instructions.
Makes 10 servings.
- You can use whipping cream instead of the half-and-half for an even richer ice cream.
- If you like, sprinkle chopped, crisped bacon bits on top before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 190; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Total Carbs: 21g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 125mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.