Baked Pears with Vanilla Yogurt and Granola
You can feel good about serving this wholesome and delicious fruit, yogurt and granola dessert to your family.
2 medium pears (Bartlett or D'Anjou pears)
1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
3 (6-ounce) containers lowfat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup lowfat granola
Mint leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut pears in half lengthwise and remove core with a melon baller or small spoon. Place pears, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold them.
- Pour apple juice and water over pears; drizzle with honey. Cover pan loosely with foil and bake about 35 minutes or until tender. While pears are baking, place granola in a shallow baking pan or pie plate and toast in oven 10 minutes; set aside.
- When pears are done, pour baking liquid into a small saucepan and reduce over medium heat until about 1/4 cup syrup remains; set aside to cool.
- Line a colander with paper towels and place over bowl to catch drips. Pour yogurt into colander and allow to drain about 30 minutes. Divide yogurt among 4 shallow bowls. Place warm pear half, cut side up, over yogurt. Top with toasted granola and drizzle with syrup. Garnish with a mint leaf, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 240; Total Fat 2.5 g; Saturated Fat 1 g; Cholesterol 5 mg; Sodium 115 mg; Calcium 25% Daily Value; Protein 8 g; Carbohydrates 49 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of 3-A-Day of Dairy.