Baked Rice Pudding with Peach Topping
Baked rice pudding served with a brown sugar, peachy-creamy topping.
1 cup uncooked rice
6 cups milk, divided use
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (29-ounce) can sliced peaches, drained
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For Rice Pudding: Combine rice, 5 cups milk and salt; heat to boiling in top of double boiler. Cook over hot, not boiling water 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir sugar into eggs. Add remaining 1 cup milk and vanilla. Gradually stir into hot rice mixture.
- Pour into buttered 2-quart casserole. Set in pan of hot water.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350°F (175°F) or until set. Remove from hot water to prevent further cooking.
- Chill custard.
- For Peach Topping: Arrange peach slices on top of chilled pudding. Spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Broil until sugar melts, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent top from burning.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.