Banana Nut Torte
"This takes a little time to make and you have to be very careful, but it is certainly worth the extra effort." Recipe submitted by Stephen Webb.
9 large egg whites
3/8 tablespoon cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon almond extract
2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chopped pecans
4 bananas, peeled and sliced
1 pint frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 325°F(160°C).
- Beat egg whites and creme of tartar until peaks form.
- Combine sugars, gradually add to egg white mixture, with extracts, blend in for about 30 seconds.
- Mix the crumbs and pecan together. Fold in egg white mixture then pour in a well greased 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool and top with bananas and whipped topping.
Makes 12 servings.