Banana Split Dessert
You can be sure everybody is going to love this scrumptious, layered banana split ice cream dessert.
3 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 36 squares)
2/3 cup butter, melted
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 large bananas
1/2 gallon Neapolitan ice cream
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup (6 ounce package) semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups whipping cream
- In a medium bowl combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar. Remove 1/2 cup of mixture; set aside. Press remaining crumb mixture over the bottom of 15x10x1-inch baking pan to form crust.
- Cut bananas crosswise into 1/2-inch slices; arrange in a layer over the crust.
- Slice ice cream into 9 slices; arrange on top of banana slices.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top; freeze until the ice cream is firm.
- In a heavy saucepan combine chocolate pieces and 1/2 cup butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Stir in powdered sugar and evaporated milk; cook until mixture is thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the frozen mixture; freeze until chocolate layer is firm.
- In a medium bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form; spread evenly over chocolate layer. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Cover and freeze.
- Before serving, let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.