Blackberry & Raspberry Fritters
with Mascarpone Sorbet
Simple deep-fried wonton fritters, filled with fresh berries, served with cocoa mascarpone sorbet in a pool of berry juice. Recipe by Chef Thomas Coohill.
6 (6 1/2-inch square) wonton wrappers, quartered
Several raspberries and blackberries
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon lemon juice
20 ounces Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- For Fritters: Brush wonton edges with water. Place 1 to 2 raspberries and/or blackberries in middle of one square. Top with another wonton square to enclose fruit. Press edges together to seal.
- Deep-fry at 350°F (175°C) for 30 to 60 seconds. Drain on paper toweling. Dust with powdered sugar.
- For Sorbet: In small pan over medium heat, bring water, sugar and cocoa to boil. Add lemon juice. Cool completely. Add mixture to Mascarpone. Mix thoroughly. Process in ice cream maker. Freeze until serving.
- For Berry Juice: In small pan over medium-low heat, bring berries and sugar to boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Press through fine sieve.
- To Serve: Spoon berry juice onto plates. Place scoop of sorbet onto juice. Top with 2 fritters. Decorate plate edge with cocoa if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.