Move over strawberries! Plump, juicy blueberries take center stage in this simple shortcake dessert.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 tablespoon melted butter (optional)
2 to 3 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup blueberry or other fruit jelly
3/4 cup sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonfat cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in cream to form a dough.
- Pat dough evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- If desired, brush the top with butter after 15 minutes.
- Cool shortcake slightly.
- Cut in six rectangles. Cut each one diagonally in half.
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine blueberries and jelly.
- Microwave on HIGH just until jelly melts, about 45 seconds.
- To serve: Place one triangle on each dessert plate. Top triangles with two-thirds of the blueberries and the whipped cream, dividing equally. Prop remaining triangles on top. Add the remaining whipped cream and berries.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.