Blueberry Bread and Butter Pudding
Recipe courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.
8 slices crusty white bread, cut into small squares
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup fresh blueberries
4 medium eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place bread on a baking tray and drizzle with melted butter. Cook 10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Place the bread in a lightly greased shallow oven-proof dish with the blueberries, pour egg mixture over bread.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds and remaining sugar and allow to stand 30 minutes so the egg mixture will soak into the bread.
- Bake about 40 minutes until golden brown and lightly set. Serve hot with whipped cream, cream fresh or yogurt.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 497; Total Fat: 26g; Saturated Fat: 12g; Total Carbs: 52g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 31g; Sodium: 1200mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.