A fresh blueberry filling atop a buttery pastry crust.
4 cups blueberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup butter
1 large egg yolk
- Wash blueberries.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl add blueberries, sprinkle with 3/4 cup sugar. Stir in beaten egg.
- In a small bowl dissolve cornstarch in water and lemon juice.
- Combine the cornstarch solutiona and blueberries in a large saucepan and cook slowly, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thick.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour and 2 tablespoons sugar. Cut in butter until well blended then add well beaten egg yolk. Form dough into a ball and chill. Pat evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Pour in the berry mixture and bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and crust is done.
Makes 8 servings.