Bread Pudding with Honey Rum Sauce
Wholesome, low-fat whole wheat bread pudding served with a rum raisin sauce naturally sweetened with honey. If you would prefer to not use alcohol, substitute the rum with 1 teaspoon rum flavoring and enough apple juice to make 1/2 cup.
12 whole-wheat bread slices, toasted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Honey Rum Sauce:
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup dark raisins
- For Pudding: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl and soak them in the milk. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the bread.
- In a separate bowl, combine raisins, egg whites, vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom. Mix thoroughly and pour over the bread cubes.
- Pour entire mixture into a 1 1/2 or 2-quart baking dish. Place the casserole dish in a large baking pan. Add water to come up to 1-inch of the casserole.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the pudding is golden brown and firm. It can be served right out of the oven or served cold by refrigerating it for about 3 hours, covered with plastic wrap.
- Serve slices drizzled with Honey Rum Sauce.
- For Honey Rum Sauce: Combine rum, honey, water and raisins in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes over a low to medium heat, stirring continuously until sauce thickens. Drizzle over slices of bread pudding. Makes about 1 cup.
Makes 6 servings.