Recipe courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 large eggs
1/2 loaf white bread; crust removed, cubed and dried
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups California raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Heat milk, cream, salt, sugar and vanilla extract in large saucepan until very warm. Whisk eggs thoroughly in a large bowl. Slowly add warm milk-cream mixture. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl; drizzle with butter. Pour custard mixture over bread; let soak 30 minutes; add raisins. Pour into 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Create a "water bath" by placing bread pudding baking dish inside a larger baking dish or roasting pan and put in oven. Fill larger pan with hot water until it comes halfway up sides of bread pudding baking dish.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until set. Cool and cut in serving pieces.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories: 320; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 145mg; Total Carbs: 38g; Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 30g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 270mg; Potassium: 292mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Raisin Marketing Board.