California Cling Peach Charlotte
A contemporary version of the Charlotte that is temptingly creamy and refreshingly light, the dessert entices with the golden color and sun-sweetened goodness of peaches.
3 (15-ounce) cans California Cling Peach slices, well drained (reserve 5 slices for garnish)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar, preferably superfine
5 tablespoons Frangelico almond liqueur, Grand Marnier, or syrup from the peaches (if using peach syrup, add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds (reserve 1 tablespoon for garnish)
2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line the bottom of the spring form pan with a circle of waxed paper.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and superfine sugar together for 4 or 5 minutes, until pale and airy. Add the Frangelico almond liqueur, Grand Marnier or reserved peach syrup and almond extract. Continue to beat for a few more minutes until the sugar has nearly dissolved. Blend in the almonds. Reserve.
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until it just holds very soft peaks. Fold the lightly whipped cream completely into the almond mixture.
- Cover the bottom of the spring form pan with 1/3 of the almond cream. Arrange half of the peach slices in a sunburst pattern on the almond cream. Cover with another 1/3 of the almond cream. Repeat with another layer of peach slices and cover with the remaining almond cream. Firmly tap the filled pan onto work surface to settle the mixture and remove any air pockets that may have formed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight. The California Cling Peach Charlotte may be prepared a day in advance to this point.
- To Serve: Remove the plastic wrap and run a knife around the edge of the pan. Unlatch the spring form pan leaving the ring in place. Place the selected serving plate upside down over the mold and reverse the finished Charlotte onto the plate. Remove the ring and the bottom of the pan. Remove the waxed paper. Garnish with reserved peach slices and sprinkle with the reserved ground almonds. Refrigerate until service. For best results, slice with a damp knife.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 394, Calories from Fat 253, Total Fat 30 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 33 g, Cholesterol 67 mg, Fiber 3 g, Calcium 9%, Iron 6%, Sodium 62 mg, Sugars 30 g, Vitamin A 14%, Vitamin C 7%.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The California Cling Peach Board.