Smooth, creamy and oh so refreshing! This recipe doesn't call for the use of an ice cream maker—but you can use one, if you prefer.
4 cups ripe cantaloupe chunks (1 small cantaloupe)
4 cups milk - divided use
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine cantaloupe chunks and 1 cup milk in container of an electric blender; top with cover, and process until smooth.
- Combine 1 cup milk and gelatin in a saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves.
- Combine gelatin mixture, cantaloupe purée, remaining 2 cups milk, syrup, sugar and salt, mixing well.
- Pour into a 13x9x2-inch pan. Cover and freeze 3 hours.
- Spoon sherbet into a large mixing bowl; beat at low speed of an electric mixer until smooth. (Do not overbeat or mixture will melt.) Pour back into pan; cover and freeze until firm before serving.
Makes 2 quarts.