Caramel Topped Rice Custard
An easy caramel sauce makes this special rice custard dessert a snap to make.
12 bite-sized soft caramel candies
2 1/4 cups milk - divided use
2 cups cooked rice, cooled
4 large eggs
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine caramels and 1/4 cup milk in small saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until caramel melts. Place equal amounts into 6 buttered 3/4 cup custard cups.
- Spoon 1/3 cup rice into each cup.
- Blend eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt; pour evenly into each cup.
- Place cups in shallow pan containing 1 inch water.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) for 45 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Loosen custard with knife and invert onto dessert dishes. Garnish with chopped nuts or coconut, if desired. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.