Cheddar Peach Shortcakes
Warm, golden shortcakes made with cheddar cheese, split and served with fresh sliced peaches and sweetened whipped cream.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup milk
2 large eggs, separated
Additional granulated sugar
1 1/2 to 2 pounds peaches, sliced (about 4 to 5 cups)
1 cup whipped cream, whipped, lightly sweetened
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal; mix in the cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix the milk, 1 egg, and 1 egg yolk with a fork, reserving the remaining egg white for glaze. Add the milk mixture to the large bowl; stir just to blend thoroughly.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. Form into 3-inch circles, spaced apart, on a greased baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Brush with the reserved egg white; sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the pan; cool on a rack.
- Sweeten the peaches to taste.
- Halve the shortcakes horizontally; place the bottoms on serving plates. Top each cake with some of the peaches; dollop with whipped cream. Cover each with its shortcake top and more peaches; dollop with more whipped cream.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.