Cherry-Almond Orange Tart
Zesty, orange-scented cherry filling in an almond nut crust with a decorative lattice top.
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, chilled
1 large egg
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine finely ground almonds, flour, and powdered sugar in a food processor. Cut chilled butter on top and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and process just until the dough gathers in a ball. Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cherry pie filling, orange juice, and grated orange peel.
- On a floured surface, roll out the larger disc into an 11-inch circle and place in a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Roll out the smaller disc into a 10-inch circle and cut into 3/4-inch strips for a lattice top.
- Spoon the cherry filling into the tart pan and arrange the lattice strips on top; trim to fit.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 20 minutes.
Make 8 servings.