Cherry Mascarpone Trifle
Cherries, marinated in sherry, are layered with cubes of pound cake, vanilla custard, mascarpone cheese and topped with crushed biscotti.
3 cups frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted - divided use
1/4 cup cream sherry
1 1/2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound cake (10 to 12 ounces), thawed
1 cup (7 ounces) Wisconsin Mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup crushed biscotti
- Marinate cherries in sherry; refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan, combine milk, egg yolks and sugar; cook and stir until thickened. Remove custard from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Cut cake into bite-size pieces; place in a 6 to 8 cup glass trifle dish or glass bowl.
- Drain marinated cherries, saving marinade. Reserve 1 cup cherries; spoon remaining cherries and marinade over cake.
- Reserve and chill 1 cup custard; pour remaining custard over cake. Cover surface of trifle with waxed paper or plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 to 4 hours until completely chilled.
- In a small bowl, gently stir reserved custard into cheese; spread over top of trifle. Sprinkle with crushed biscotti; garnish with reserved cherries.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.